in Sync is a show for young people featuring an explosion of live music from twelve phenomenal string players.
Scottish Ensemble – a pioneering string orchestra known for innovative performances and a visceral energetic playing style – and MishMash Productions – specialists in bringing music, drama, and movement together for young audiences – join forces for in Sync. Through movement and storytelling, the show introduces first-time classical music audiences and established fans to a diverse tour-de-force of classical and folk music from across the world.
With music chosen for its immediacy, drama and emotional variety, in Sync is performed entirely from memory and features musicians moving amongst the audience – bringing people closer to the humans at the heart of the music. in Sync celebrates both individuality and teamwork and invites audiences to do the same.
- Suitable for schools and concert venues/theatres
- 45 mins, no interval
- Ideal for young people 11+
- Anna Meredith Variation on Tullochgorum
- Jessie Montgomery Strum
- Purcell Prelude to Act 4 of The Fairy Queen
- Shostakovich Chamber Symphony (II)
- Reena Esmail Darshan
- Piazzola Verano (Summer) from The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires
- Diane Clark It's Impossible to Sing and Play the Bass (based on Jay Leonhart)
- Traditional arr. Grant Tha mi am Chadal / One for Mary
- Jonny Greenwood Proven Lands
- Caroline Shaw The Orangery
- Debussy extract of String Quartet
- Tonsgaard Sørensen Shine You No More
- Co-directors: Ria Ashcroft and Sophie Rivlin
- Designer: Helen Fownes-Davies
- Creative Producer, MishMash Productions: Liz Muge
- Producer, Scottish Ensemble: Stuart Burns
In Sync is a coproduction between Scottish Ensemble and MishMash Productions created over two periods of R&D and an intensive rehearsal period, prior to touring Scotland in September 2022.
In Sync demystifies classical music through programming composers with exhilarating, immediate musical languages. It invites audiences to meet the personalities behind the instruments through movement and storytelling; using audience interaction and physically energetic performance practice to inspire young people to think differently about classical music. in Sync brings together the contemporary with the baroque, celebrates folk and jazz influences from across the globe and brings to the fore music by living, female and global majority composers.